Friday, October 16, 2015

Thanksgiving Sunday: Hosting our Family!

For Sunday lunch we had cauliflower lentil stew, fruit, and fresh cheese from the market! 
Cheese plate
I made this cheese board for Nic and me last year (I made a matching one for Ryan and Deanna's wedding). The knives are from Monica for my bridal shower, and say "to have" and "to hold," which is absolutely adorable. 


Dad, Mom, Deanna, Ryan, me, and Nic, on our Sunday walk through Cedarvale Park
Yum
I love to bake pies, so I made apple tarts for each of us to eat as a snack Sunday afternoon. Thanks to Martha's guidance I got the perfect pastry for tarts this time around, wonderfully flaky. I was pretty happy with my performance. 

The food
Nic pointed out a couple days later that we should have closed the bedroom door for this. Yup, since Mom and Dad's stuff is in there, including the air mattresses, and some of the stuff from our living room.

The Menu:
Roasted butternut squash, lentil, cranberry, and brussel sprout salad
Turkey
Cranberry sauce
Delicious stuffing using my mother-in-law's recipe
Vegetarian gravy (stock + corn starch essentially)
Mashed potatoes
Spinach, pear, and goat cheese salad

The dining table
Gold Autumn Scroll table cloth from Bed Bath and Beyond
Gold flecked napkins from Bed Bath and Beyond last Christmas
Tea lights, white pumpkins, and a beautiful arrangement from Tidy's Flowers

Cheers!

So thankful for my wonderful family! Nic and I were very happy to host my parents for the weekend, and Ryan and Deanna for the day. It was a cool experience to show off our neighbourhood, Nic's lab, my gym, and some other parts of Toronto we've been loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment