Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Merry Cookiemas! - Cookie Decorating Party


For our first Christmas, I wanted to host some sort of a Christmas cookie party. I figured for the three houses of my friends from undergrad, we should either make cookies together, or exchange them, so we have more cookies. We ended up decorating regular sugar cookies, and doing Maddie's cool egg-wash orange cookies, and splitting them up at the end. 


I set up our side table with the baked cookies (since Maddie was baking the orange ones in the kitchen at the same time), hot chocolate stuff, and someone even brought Bailey's.



Nic's parents lived in Zambia for a few years, and came back with this sugar cookie recipe. Nic was adament that we had to make!
Ingredients:

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 tablespoon shortening
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 6 cups flour
Instructions:

  1. Cream sugar, butter, shortening, and salt.
  2. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
  3. Stir the baking powder into the flour.
  4. Alternate adding milk and baking powder/flour mixture slowly.
  5. Chill dough.
  6. Roll out, cut out shapes, and bake at 350* for ~10 minutes.



I got these stunning copper cookie cutters at my bridal shower this spring, and I love how they look! My other cookie cutters are 5 dinosaurs that I got from Dollarama. We used both. 

 
We made basic icing with butter and icing sugar, and added food colouring.


 Maddie really wanted to do her egg-wash orange cookies. I'd never seen these before, so it was really cool to try them. I found a recipe from Pioneer Woman that you can try out. You roll them out, then paint them with different egg-washes, and then bake them.


I didn't do a cost breakdown, but I'm pretty sure that all of us chipping in for 4 dozen + cookies was cheaper than doing it all separately. And way more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment